Staff Software Engineer: Full time, Melbourne or remote Australia (Australian work rights required).
Please note, we also have Engineer and Senior Engineer opportunities available.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join the Customer Lists team, which is a high visibility, high impact team, with the goal of helping Zendesk’s customers create, manage, and take action on groups of people across Zendesk products.
We are a full stack team working to achieve this goal by building out new features and capabilities, scaling existing products and taking a platform-first approach to provide a consistent experience for our customers.
A Staff Engineer at Zendesk is a level above our Senior Software Engineers. As a Staff Engineer, you’ll utilise your experience, technical expertise, and leadership skills to help us deliver and achieve our team mission and company goals.
This is a full stack development role in a cross functional team collaborating with product, design, and engineering teams around the world.
What you’ll be doing
- Take ownership of features and collaborate with the Tech Lead to design complete solutions.
- Contribute to technical discussions and decision-making with other teams and partners across the global engineering organisation.
- Break complex features into granular pieces of work, to facilitate incremental feedback cycles.
- Prioritise and estimate work balancing feature delivery with the management of tech debt.
- Participate in and lead activities such as pairing sessions and code reviews to facilitate continuous self-improvement for the whole team.
- Work closely with our designers and product managers to help define the future of the product.
- Triage customer issues in partnership with Product Managers.
- Provide operational support for our services in Production.
- Actively look for ways to improve the observability, performance, reliability and security of our services.
What you bring to the role
- An experienced engineer with a track record of delivering large-scale, high quality, and resilient web systems.
- Great collaboration and communication skills - within your team and across the organisation.
- The ability to understand and communicate sophisticated concepts in a relevant and considerate manner. Explain and reason your technical decisions clearly and effectively to engineers of different levels and non-technical partners.
- Experience solving difficult problems across multiple systems.
- Experience coaching engineers, leading brainstorming discussions, and facilitating engineers working together to make decisions in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to influence without authority, inspire and mentor others.
- A culture of learning, growth, and innovation.
- You’re comfortable jumping into unfamiliar codebases and languages.
We primarily work in Ruby on Rails, and also do some work on a project in Go.
Our frontend is in React, being migrated from Ember, preferring new components to be written in TypeScript.
Our services communicate with other services via a combination of gRPC, REST APIs and Kafka event streams.
Our services are deployed to Kubernetes using Docker, running on AWS. We don’t require previous experience with these specific technologies; we’re confident you can learn as we go.
At Zendesk, we believe that every great customer relationship stems from a conversation. So we built a customer service software company that designs solutions to foster better customer relationships. From large enterprises to startups, powerful, innovative customer experiences should be within reach for every company, no matter the size, industry or ambition. Zendesk serves more than 160,000 customers across a multitude of industries in over 30 languages. Zendesk is headquartered in San Francisco, and operates offices worldwide. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
You can apply below: