Full time Senior or Staff Software Engineer in Melbourne or remote
Our team is part of the Foundation engineering organisation. Our mission is to build and scale data compliance systems at Zendesk - systems that are driving data deletion and data movement across the Zendesk ecosystem. We sit within the Foundation Storage group and partner closely with the Event Streaming team.
We’re currently working on a number of different projects:
- Crafting the next generation of the workflow orchestration systems that powers moving customer data and other business workflows
- Building mover services for MySQL, DynamoDB, Kafka, and S3 that handle data transfer between regions for our services
- Evolving our deployment capabilities to safely deploy and test our systems in production with smoke & soak testing, error rate monitoring, and automated rollbacks
These projects require the coordination and participation of many teams so effective technical communication; via documentation, pairing, and meetings, is crucial to our success.
We are a small team trying to answer big questions: What is the right distributed transaction pattern for our use cases? How do we safely move terabytes of data across the world, without any downtime and without putting too much load on the entire system? If you’re intrigued and motivated by this problem space, we encourage you to apply!
Our responsibility to you
- We will welcome and consider your recommendations for how to improve our code, architecture, documentation, and team processes
- We make decisions openly
- We foster a culture of belonging and inclusion
- We will ensure there is a meaningful link to your contributions and the objectives of the company
- We will help build your people network internally
Your responsibilities at Zendesk
- Ship reliable code and document it well
- Contribute to our product and technical roadmaps
- Communicate clearly and with empathy
- Be responsible for the team’s services - you believe in taking ownership of infrastructure, design, development, testing, deployment, and are capable of debugging operational issues
You should have some of these skills:
- Proficiency in either Ruby or Go
- Familiarity with functional programming languages or paradigms (or an appetite to learn)
- Ability to work through unfamiliar code and technologies
- Experience with event-driven, distributed architecture using Kafka or SNS/SQS
- Familiarity with at least one modern web framework (e.g. Rails)
- Familiarity with at least one background job queuing systems (e.g. Resque)
We’re keen on ongoing learning so you’ll develop your skills through pair programming, lunch and learns, hackathons, lab days to experiment with new insights, and a yearly training allowance too! In addition, expect to be invited, and encouraged, to take part in company-sponsored volunteer initiatives.
Find out more and apply at: Staff Software Engineer job in Melbourne, Australia | Engineering & Product jobs at Zendesk