Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organisations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organisations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
As a result of increased growth in APAC, we are now seeking a Product Engineer/Architect to join our Melbourne team. You’ll be responsible for overseeing one of our newest products, Outbound by Zendesk:, from beta to general release and into our value-generating product family.
You’ll enjoy working on web applications at global scale, upskilling teams and executing our efforts to find product-market fit. In addition, you’ll work in close partnership with our Product Managers to create measurable value for the customer, whether at the UX, performance or scalability level.
You will also take a key role in representing the Melbourne office on the global stage within our technical leadership community. You’ll help guide technology choices across all aspects of Zendesk’s development roadmap and evolving architecture.
We value continuous delivery and automation of tests, infrastructure and anything else that is possible to automate! We like, and use, agile processes and believe that pragmatism always triumphs over dogmatism.
This is a very hands-on role, you’ll write code for production or POC, participate in software design sessions, setting technical direction and priorities. You’ll coordinate the development of our recently-acquired Outbound product with teams around the world.
Along with a macro to micro, understanding of how tools and technologies can be used to build quality systems, you embrace the value of collaboration. You can communicate, cajole and convince with empathy and patience. While you won’t have direct reports, there’ll be ongoing opportunities to mentor across the wider Engineering team.
What you get to do every day:
- Work with our Operations, Security, and Product Management teams to design and deliver high-quality products that exceed expectations.
- Provide key input on the technical roadmap, identifying components and possible issues that could impede the execution of plans. Work with Product Engineering teams to formulate creative solutions for tackling these issues before they become bottlenecks.
- Stay up-to-date with innovations and changes in the industry and within Zendesk. Make pragmatic, evidence-based recommendations on their applicability to our business.
- Provide expertise, influence, advice and mentorship to engineers at all levels. Support and develop technical leadership capabilities across our rapidly growing Engineering cohort.
- Ensure teams you collaborate with are delivering quickly, measuring impact and iterating to drive positive outcomes for customers.
- Actively contribute to the development of agreed standards and good practices.
What you bring to the role:
- You’ve been there and done it: working as a senior technical decision maker with a high data volume, globally available, web application.
- You’ll embrace the value of a team-first approach. Day to day coding won’t be your bread and butter but you’ll be a champion of collaboration and effective teamwork.
- When debugging a tricky intermittent issue you won’t give up until the software behaves as expected, the root cause has been identified and an automated test has been put in place to prevent the issue reoccurring.
- You’ll be able to clearly explain your views to others but just as importantly, actively listen and facilitate good discussions. You’ll also ensure a summary of the discussion is documented and disseminated for the benefit of others.
- A knowledge of or desire to learn about such tools as ElasticSearch, Cassandra and Kafka as well as event streaming and processing.
Perks include a competitive salary package as well as stock, comprehensive (family) health insurance, a fully stocked kitchen and nordic-chic offices on Collins Street! We’re also keen on ongoing learning so you’ll develop your skills through pair programming, lunch and learns, hackathons, lab days to experiment with new ideas and a yearly training allowance too. In addition, you’ll be invited, and encouraged, to take part in company-sponsored volunteer initiatives.
Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regards to race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.