2017.02.22 [Melbourne] Ruby Meetup

Code forensic analysis

by Silvio Montanari

This is a presentation/demonstration talk about alternative techniques to analyse large codebases and detect potential issues with software design or code quality. I’m going demo the use of code-forensics as applied to our rails monolith in Redbubble and how it is helping us to address the growing technical debt. The work is inspired by the book “Your Code as a Crime Scene” by Adam Tornhill.

Building consistent developer environments

by Richard Mcgain

At Shopify, we’ve used Boxen and Vagrant, and then finally developed our own set of tools to manage development environments. I want to share our journey and hopefully offer some advice for people wanting to build their own.

• Why even use environment configuration
  • The advantages and disadvantages of Vagrant, Boxen, and Babushka
  • How we developed dev(our tool), why we chose to build our own, and the benefits and drawbacks
  • Running in virtual machines vs running on the host
  • What will go wrong (spoiler alert: everything)

Shrine – Handle File Uploads like it’s 2017

by Janko Marohnic

Shrine is a relatively new solution for handling file uploads, which I’ve been actively developing for over 1 and a half years. I’ve built Shrine because the existing libraries were missing many features that I considered essential for creating great user experience around file uploads, and I would love to share them with you.

Covers:

• Direct uploads using AJAX
  • Handling file processing in the background
  • Resumable uploads
  • Performance comparisons with other file upload libraries
  • Demo application
  • The goal of this talk is for people to learn more about good practices for handling file uploads, and to demonstrate how easy it is to implement more advanced workflows using Shrine.