About Disco Labs
We build software that powers commerce for hundreds of merchants across the world, including some of the biggest brands on the Shopify platform.
Our company’s growing, and as we have more clients walking through the door, more products under way, and start taking on even more technically ambitious projects we need more hands on deck! We’re looking for up to three new Ruby developers to join our team, both mid-level and senior.
We have openings for both remote and local (Melbourne, Australia) candidates. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply - we believe strongly in diversity and in building an inclusive and supportive company.
What you’ll be doing
- Leading or working in a small (3-4 person) team to write and maintain Ruby on Rails Shopify applications that directly help merchants grow and run their businesses;
- Working closely with our Technical Director to design and architecture the next iteration of our Shopify product suite;
- Sharing your knowledge and experience with the other developers at Disco, helping the rest of the team to level up their development and communication skills;
- Using interactions with customers to design and implement new features on Disco’s own publicly-available Shopify applications;
- Enhancing Disco’s reputation as a leading Shopify agency through community engagement, developing case studies, contributing to open source, and other activities.
Who you’ll be working with
- Our development team is led by our Technical Director David , a highly experienced Ruby developer. His role is to support all of the developers on our team to ensure we’re delivering quality code and levelling up our skills at the same time;
- The other members of the development team are Pille , Simon , Tom and Frank - you will be leading, planning, pairing and coding with these fine people in our quest to build amazing software;
- Our production managers Kamila and Devin work closely with everyone on the development team to help set priorities and timelines.
Core skills required
- You’re a communicator, who recognises that developing great products requires teamwork and close collaboration, not just code;
- You have previously led other developers in the delivery of successful projects;
- You have real-world experience building web applications using Ruby on Rails;
- You enjoy sharing your experience and skills with others, and get satisfaction from helping another developer work through a tricky problem;
- You’re curious and like to dive deep into what you’re working on and learn new things.
Skills that are “nice to have”
- You have had some exposure to Shopify, either as a merchant or as a developer;
- You have front-end development skills, potentially having worked with things like React and Sass before;
- You have experience designing either REST based or GraphQL APIs;
- You like to share and teach others, as evidenced by (for example) blogging, working on open source projects or speaking at events;
- You have experience with other web frameworks beyond Rails (eg Django, Hanami).
Things we don’t need
- You don’t necessarily have a degree. You could be about to complete your studies or be completely self-taught - we’re more interested in the work you can and want to produce, not a piece of paper;
- You don’t need to be co-located in our office. We have openings for both remote and local candidates. If you are applying for a remote role, your normal working hours must overlap within 2 hours of AEST.
What we offer
- We want you to be comfortable, so we will offer you a competitive salary with leave and benefits. We anticipate making offers in the AUD$90,000 to AUD$140,000 range for these roles, depending on skills and experience;
- You will have a large degree of creative freedom in how you tackle design and development problems, but we’ll provide you with all the support you need to learn and grow your skills;
- We place an emphasis on personal development, with dedicated time scheduled by our production team for self-directed learning and exploration and a personal learning budget to invest in yourself;
- We have a flexible work policy that’s designed to help people fit work around life, not the other way around. We’re happy to accommodate early/late starts for school pickups, easing a commute, or other ongoing commitments. This extends to working from home and remote work;
- We have a company-wide day off every third Wednesday as an opportunity for a mid-week relax and recharge;
- Opportunities to work remotely anywhere in the world for extended periods of time;
- We offer a profit sharing scheme to all employees, as a way for everyone on the team to share our successes;
- Monthly wellbeing allowance you’re free to spend on new running shoes, yoga classes, mindfulness classes - whatever keeps you happy and healthy;
- We offer one annual day off per year for employees wanting to do charitable work;
- We match any annual charitable donations made by employees up to a limit of $250;
- A twice-yearly offsite retreat to take a step back, reflect and plan for the rest of the year.
Learn more and apply
We value transparency, so if you’re keen to get more insight into what it’s like working at Disco, our company handbook is public.
If Disco sounds like the right place for you, learn about the application process.