Ruby Australia Committee Meeting Minutes
16th of September, 2015 - 7:00pm AEST
Held via GotoMeeting
Committee Members Present
- Sebastian VonConrad - President
- Melissa Kaulfuss - Vice President
- Matt Allen - Treasurer
- Mikel Lindsaar - Secretary
- Rob Jacoby
- John Barton
- Leonard Garvey
- Amanda Neumann
- Welcome / Apologies / Agenda Amendments
Welcome to all people.
Motion to accept last minutes as correct, proposed by Secretary,
seconded by John Barton, no opposition, passed.
Matters arising from previous meeting:
In sponsorship, working with Trish, to get idea on the sponsorship packages like
in terms of type and levels. Next job is to get prospectus together and circulate
that to the committee and organising committee. Have made some progress and should
start pushing to companies early next week. Mikel - need help with making it
pretty? Seb - need assets, Rob - will get access to you.
- Mel and Seb had a chat with the Interactive Accounting (Ruby Australia accountants)
Wanted to know more about RubyConf on cash flow and things, also she wanted to
have little more idea on plans and future including budgets etc. Not ready to engage
them further, but will be in touch.
- Received some negative feedback about Rails girls event in Sydney, was discussed
with Len and Mel. Len + Organisers are working on a solution, some people were
feeling excluded. Working on a solution. - Continue to work on this and keep the
conversation open for both parties.
Review Main Activities
Ruby Conference - Rob Jacoby
+ Ticket sales is fairly low at the moment with 10 sold. Should we have a snap
sale? Not sure if we should do that or now. Matt - do early bird pricing for
a snap sale for 4 weeks. Continue discussion outside of the meeting.
+ Have a budget setup, and Rob to talk to Lisa from Accountant on breakeven level
will talk on friday during meeting.
+ John Barton - need to get the talks out there on who is doing what - Rob: yes
but we haven't got the CFP finished, we have 66 talks currently. Maybe we could
send some more emails out to push it forward.
Event Knowledge Project Update - Leonard Garvey
- Rob: Quickly asked him, unable to get to it next month.
New People into the Community Project Update - Melissa Kaulfuss
- Nothing major done, meetup.com to happen this week
- Talking to Lauren about RailsGirls adelaide. Same with Perth webgirls,
also just met with Rails Girls melbourne.
- ZenDesk has asked if they can sponsor RailsGirls melbourne, will talk to
them about RubyConf as well.
- Want to create a model for RailsGirls events, perhaps $20-$25 per head
Matt: we need a policy on this. Mel: Have spoke to Lisa. Possibly can
do more - cap per event.
- Mikel - We have booked Installfest Adelaide in December.
- Mel + Mikel to work out a policy to come back on vote on.
Ruby to the Business Project Update - John Barton
- Not a massive amount of action to report, meeting with Liam on Monday.
- Matt has forwarded on email from a dev manager trying to find devs.
- Will work with Startup Victoria to do a survey on non technical founders,
their concerns, how they got tech off the ground, how they feel about
ruby in general. Deliver a written proposal for next month.
Rob - get more reminders in place. Mikel to do a nudge.
- Rob - Mel, new website? Will discuss outside of that and come back
Mel - RailsCamp ballot is a problem with scope, but could this be
changed? John: really hard to be prescriptive. Seb: Problem can be
that not enough members for an AGM. Committee should be able to go.
Proposal by Matt that part of committee membership be a guaranteed
right to buy a ticket to any Rails Camp as a benefit of giving
time to the Ruby Australia community - passed unanimously
Wednesday the 21st of October. 7pm.
Targets for following month
Sebastian to get Mikel the constitution to get it online
- Matt & Melissa to setup Meetup.com account under Ruby Australia
- Rob to get assets to Sebastian for Ruby Conf sponsorship document
- Sebastian to continue with Mel + Len on issue that came up at Rails
Girls Sydney and work towards an appropriate resolution
- Rob to work with team outside of meeting to do a snap sale to push
ticket sales on Ruby Conf.
- Mel + Mikel to work out funding policy for RailsGirls / InstallFest
and DevelopmentHub style training / introduction events and distribute
for next committee meeting vote.
- John to get written proposal and wheels in motion for Startup Victoria
End of Meeting